I am a staff attorney in the National Security and Civil Rights Program at Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus in San Francisco, California. My work focuses on challenging post-9/11 policies that undermine the civil rights and liberties of Middle Eastern, Muslim, and South Asian communities.
Previously, I was an Arthur Liman Fellow at the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California, where I worked on national security, surveillance, and privacy issues, including Nee v. Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department.
I also follow free speech issues on university campuses, particularly with regard to student activism about U.S. foreign policy and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
I obtained my law degree from Yale Law School, where I worked with a team of students in the Workers and Immigrants Rights Advocacy Clinic to resist racial profiling by the East Haven Police Department against Latinos through litigation (Chacon v. East Haven Police Department) and other means.
I studied Rhetoric at UC Berkeley, where I was a member of Students for Justice in Palestine and Cal Students for Equal Rights and a Valid Education (CalSERVE).
The photograph is taken by Razan Ghazzawi. The views expressed on this website are mine alone.
- 10.19.2013: Islamophobia a major force in Suspicious Activity Reporting program, Advancing Justice-Asian Law Caucus
- 3.15.2013: Between devils and angels in Damascus and Caracas, Al Jazeera English
- 2.28.2013: Sectarian narratives promote troubling agendas, not justice, Al Jazeera English
- 10.2.2012: How many of your Facebook friends are undercover cops?, Huffington Post
- 9.4.2012: Beware of photographers, note-takers, and protesters, Huffington Post
- 8.29.2012: The echo chamber of campus anti-Semitism, Al Jazeera English
- 8.23.2012: Human rights advocacy is not hate speech, San Francisco Chronicle (with Tom Pessah)
- 8.2.2012: How UC devalues Arab and Muslim student voices, Al Jazeera English
- 9.2011: Boycott on U.S. Campuses: From Moral Language to Political Practice, Jadal
- 9.26.11: Behind the scenes with the Israel Lobby on campus, Al Jazeera English
- 6.27.11: The ADC vs. the Arab-American Community: On the ADC and Assad, Al Jazeera English
- 6.10.11: Regarding Yale Institute for the Interdisciplinary Study of Anti-Semitism: Challenging Anti-Semitism Must be Rooted in Opposing Racism, not Defending Israel, MondoWeiss
- 11.12.10: Civil Society: Toward Israeli-Palestinian peace, The Yale Herald
- 10.25.10: The Burning Truth of White Phosphorous: Responding to the ADL’s List, Indypendent.org (Interview)
- 9.14.10: Understand anti-Semitism, and anti-Muslim bigotry, WashingtonPost.com
- 9.1.10: Yale lends name to racist conference, Yale Daily News
- 4.10.10: Why are American Jewish groups intent on defending illegal Israeli settlements and other human rights violations?, Monthly Review and Electronic Intifada
- 4.8.10: Singling out Israel is the right thing to do, Berkeley Daily Planet
- 1.12.10: Making a business out of Palestine’s struggle, Electronic Intifada
- 11.6.09: A fundamental struggle in Gaza, Yale Daily News