I am an attorney in the Los Angeles area with an eye towards social justice issues.
I am currently an Arthur Liman Fellow at the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California, where my work focuses on the civil rights and liberties of Middle Eastern, Muslim, and South Asian communities as affected by post-9/11 police practices.
I also follow free speech issues on university campuses, particularly as they play out with regard to student activism about U.S. foreign policy and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
I obtained my law degree from Yale Law School, where I worked with a team of other students in the Workers and Immigrants Rights Advocacy Clinic to advocate against racial profiling by the East Haven Police Department targeting Latinos.
I studied Rhetoric at UC Berkeley, where I was a member of Students for Justice in Palestine and Cal Students for Equal Rights and a Valid Education (CalSERVE).
The photograph is taken by Razan Ghazzawi.
- 3.15.2013: Between devils and angels in Damascus and Caracas, Al Jazeera English
- 2.28.2013: Sectarian narratives promote troubling agendas, not justice, Al Jazeera English
- 10.2.2012: How many of your Facebook friends are undercover cops?, Huffington Post
- 9.4.2012: Beware of photographers, note-takers, and protesters, Huffington Post
- 8.29.2012: The echo chamber of campus anti-Semitism, Al Jazeera English
- 8.23.2012: Human rights advocacy is not hate speech, San Francisco Chronicle (with Tom Pessah)
- 8.2.2012: How UC devalues Arab and Muslim student voices, Al Jazeera English
- 9.2011: Boycott on U.S. Campuses: From Moral Language to Political Practice, Jadal
- 9.26.11: Behind the scenes with the Israel Lobby on campus, Al Jazeera English
- 6.27.11: The ADC vs. the Arab-American Community: On the ADC and Assad, Al Jazeera English
- 6.10.11: Regarding Yale Institute for the Interdisciplinary Study of Anti-Semitism: Challenging Anti-Semitism Must be Rooted in Opposing Racism, not Defending Israel, MondoWeiss
- 11.12.10: Civil Society: Toward Israeli-Palestinian peace, The Yale Herald
- 10.25.10: The Burning Truth of White Phosphorous: Responding to the ADL’s List, Indypendent.org (Interview)
- 9.14.10: Understand anti-Semitism, and anti-Muslim bigotry, WashingtonPost.com
- 9.1.10: Yale lends name to racist conference, Yale Daily News
- 4.10.10: Why are American Jewish groups intent on defending illegal Israeli settlements and other human rights violations?, Monthly Review and Electronic Intifada
- 4.8.10: Singling out Israel is the right thing to do, Berkeley Daily Planet
- 1.12.10: Making a business out of Palestine’s struggle, Electronic Intifada
- 11.6.09: A fundamental struggle in Gaza, Yale Daily News
- 9.4.09: Letter: Editorial Misses Point of UC Workers’ Vote of No Confidence, The Daily Californian
- 3.20.09: Israel Apartheid Week Events Led to Vital Campus Awareness, The Daily Californian
- 11.18.08: Hate by Any Other Name, The Daily Californian
- 10.14.08: Is Panda Express a Bailout Plan for ASUC Auxiliary?, The Daily Californian
- 6.5.08: Normalizing occupation: Syria, Israel and ‘peace talks’, Electronic Intifada
- 2.12.08: Israeli foreign ministry’s token Arab, Electronic Intifada
- 7.16.07: What do Muslims have to prove to America?, The Daily Californian