I am currently a staff attorney in the National Security and Civil Rights Program at Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus in San Francisco, California. My work focuses on the civil rights and liberties of Middle Eastern, Muslim, and South Asian communities.
Previously, I was an Arthur Liman Fellow at the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California, where I worked on national security, surveillance, and privacy issues.
I also follow free speech issues on university campuses, particularly as they play out with regard to student activism about U.S. foreign policy and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
I obtained my law degree from Yale Law School, where I worked with a team of other students in the Workers and Immigrants Rights Advocacy Clinic to advocate against racial profiling by the East Haven Police Department targeting Latinos.
I studied Rhetoric at UC Berkeley, where I was a member of Students for Justice in Palestine and Cal Students for Equal Rights and a Valid Education (CalSERVE).
The photograph is taken by Razan Ghazzawi.
- 3.15.2013: Between devils and angels in Damascus and Caracas, Al Jazeera English
- 2.28.2013: Sectarian narratives promote troubling agendas, not justice, Al Jazeera English
- 10.2.2012: How many of your Facebook friends are undercover cops?, Huffington Post
- 9.4.2012: Beware of photographers, note-takers, and protesters, Huffington Post
- 8.29.2012: The echo chamber of campus anti-Semitism, Al Jazeera English
- 8.23.2012: Human rights advocacy is not hate speech, San Francisco Chronicle (with Tom Pessah)
- 8.2.2012: How UC devalues Arab and Muslim student voices, Al Jazeera English
- 9.2011: Boycott on U.S. Campuses: From Moral Language to Political Practice, Jadal
- 9.26.11: Behind the scenes with the Israel Lobby on campus, Al Jazeera English
- 6.27.11: The ADC vs. the Arab-American Community: On the ADC and Assad, Al Jazeera English
- 6.10.11: Regarding Yale Institute for the Interdisciplinary Study of Anti-Semitism: Challenging Anti-Semitism Must be Rooted in Opposing Racism, not Defending Israel, MondoWeiss
- 11.12.10: Civil Society: Toward Israeli-Palestinian peace, The Yale Herald
- 10.25.10: The Burning Truth of White Phosphorous: Responding to the ADL’s List, Indypendent.org (Interview)
- 9.14.10: Understand anti-Semitism, and anti-Muslim bigotry, WashingtonPost.com
- 9.1.10: Yale lends name to racist conference, Yale Daily News
- 4.10.10: Why are American Jewish groups intent on defending illegal Israeli settlements and other human rights violations?, Monthly Review and Electronic Intifada
- 4.8.10: Singling out Israel is the right thing to do, Berkeley Daily Planet
- 1.12.10: Making a business out of Palestine’s struggle, Electronic Intifada
- 11.6.09: A fundamental struggle in Gaza, Yale Daily News
- 9.4.09: Letter: Editorial Misses Point of UC Workers’ Vote of No Confidence, The Daily Californian
- 3.20.09: Israel Apartheid Week Events Led to Vital Campus Awareness, The Daily Californian
- 11.18.08: Hate by Any Other Name, The Daily Californian
- 10.14.08: Is Panda Express a Bailout Plan for ASUC Auxiliary?, The Daily Californian
- 6.5.08: Normalizing occupation: Syria, Israel and ‘peace talks’, Electronic Intifada
- 2.12.08: Israeli foreign ministry’s token Arab, Electronic Intifada
- 7.16.07: What do Muslims have to prove to America?, The Daily Californian